Signs of QuickBooks Data Corruption
There are multiple signs that your QuickBooks has experienced data corruption. The following are the most noticeable signs that your QuickBooks has been corrupted and needs QuickBooks data file repair:
- QuickBooks users are getting booted out of the company file
- QuickBooks closes or shuts down without reason
- QuickBooks company file cannot be opened
- Important information is missing from your company file
- Balance sheets are out of balance and have wrong information
- Transactions cannot be saved or are missing from your records
- Foreign symbols are replacing names or numbers
- The company file is lagging
To avoid corruption, the following are possible causes of a QuickBooks data corruption:
- The QuickBooks data file is too large
- The server or workstation server hardware does not meet the QuickBooks system requirements
- The network environment does not accomodate to the requirements of QuickBooks
- QuickBooks receiving an incorrect or abrupt shutdown
- A virus attacking your QuickBooks database hard drive
- Running the QuickBooks Rebuild Tool from a QuickBooks client station
- Accessing the QuickBooks data file via wireless connection
- 3rd party import utility
The environment needs to be examined to prevent the QuickBooks data file from any other further damage.
QuickBooks Data File Repair Package
When you contact DL & Associates for a QuickBooks data file repair, we will thoroughly examine your QuickBooks company data file. With this examination, we will perform and analyze multiple aspects of your QuickBooks data file to ensure it is completely healthy once again.
- Data File Analysis: We will analyze your data file and see where the data corruption happened. Some data corruptions can be repaired manually without going through the entire repair process. Other data corruptions will need to go through a more intensive repair process.
- Data File Repair & Environment Review: A high percentage of data corruption is caused by inappropriate network environment setup. Our objective is to review and troubleshoot your network environment setup before the data repair process. This step is to ensure that the data corruption will not incur the data that was already repaired.
- New Company File Implementation: If the corrupted data file cannot be repaired, and the data file size is too large, then there is no other choice but to create a new QuickBooks company file. We will assist and start a new QuickBooks company file with the following options:
- Restructure the Chart of Accounts (if desired)
- Clean up the vendor, customer, and item inventory lists
- Transfer over the desired vendor, customer, and item inventory lists to the new QuickBooks company file
Reducing the Risk of QuickBooks Data Corruption
Once your data file size reaches capacity, the risk for a data corruption increases. Always keep note the size of the QuickBooks data file so you can avoid the data file from exceeding its file size limit. The QuickBooks data file is also extremely sensitive to unexpected disconnections, so do not use any wireless networks to log into the QuickBooks data file. Wireless connections have a greater risk of connection interruptions compared to connections that use Ethernet cables. Always remember to constantly backup your data, in multiple and different locations, to ensure that there is a QuickBooks data file backup on hand – just in case anything goes wrong.
System Requirements for QuickBooks Enterprise
- 4 GB of RAM
- 1.5 GB per active user
- 2-4 GB for 3rd party applications
- Windows Vista SP2, 7 SP1 or 8.1 Update 1 (32-bit & 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2003 SP2 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, 2012 R2 or Windows Small Business
- Server 2008/2011 (64-bit) recommended for multi user
- 1024×768 or higher screen resolution, extended monitor is supported
- 4x DVD-ROM drive
- Payroll and online features require Internet access (1 Mbps recommended speed). An internet connection is required for product registration and to verify your active subscription.
- Product registration required
Integration with Other Software
- Microsoft Word and Excel integration requires Office 2007, 2010, 2013, or Office 365 (32 and 64 bit)
- Synchronization with Outlook requires QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook 2007, 2010 (32-bit)
- E-mail Estimates, Invoices and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2007-2013, Microsoft Outlook with Office 365, Windows Mail, GmailTM, Yahoo! Mail®, and Outlook.com®
- Compatible with QuickBooks Point of Sale version 10.0-12.0
- Transfer data directly from Quicken 2013-2015, QuickBooks 4.0-15.0 and Microsoft Excel 2007-2013
Steps for QuickBooks Data Rebuild
There are multiple ways to fix a QuickBooks data corruption. Below are the steps you can take to save your QuickBooks data:
- Resort the lists in the file. Use the “Resort List” selection in the list menu to resort the lists.
- Rebuild the File. Select the File menu, select Utilities and then select “Rebuild Data”. You must rebuild from the server. If you have done more than two data rebuilds and are still receiving errors, a data analysis is recommended with our service engineers.
- Create a Portable Company File and then restore the Portable Company File. This process re-indexes the database and is one of the most effective ways to reduce database fragments.
- Run the Windows Fragmentation utility on the drive on which the QuickBooks data file is stored (e.g. the server)
If you are unsure about the status of your QuickBooks data file, contact us today
for one of our service engineers to examine your data file.